The Meyer "Mike" Berger Award and its $1,500 prize is awarded for outstanding human interest reporting across platforms. Print, radio, broadcast and digital reporting are eligible for the award. All entries must have been published in the U.S. during 2020, though in the case of a series or ongoing story, work that appeared in January 2021 will be accepted. Journalists who report in a foreign language should submit copies of original stories with an English translation. No entry fee is required.
ALL materials should be formatted and uploaded as PDFs. Supporting multimedia presentations can be sent as URLs. Links must remain live.
If you know a journalist who deserves to be recognized, please submit the completed nomination form and pertinent material.
To nominate a journalist, please submit the following materials:
- A brief letter from the editor indicating the scope of the reporter's work.
- A brief biography of the reporter.
- Up to five articles/pieces published in 2019 that best typify the reporter’s work.
Please keep in mind:
- A series must be designated as such by the publication when it is printed; a regular column may also be submitted as a series.
- If material lives online, you may provide direct links. Otherwise, please upload it to a site such as YouTube or Vimeo.
- For all visual elements, the name of the photographer or graphic artist should be included on all entry forms.
- Supporting material will not be returned.