J. Anthony Lukas Work-In-Progress Award
Materials for this award must be received by Thursday, December 9, 2021. No entry fee is required for this prize.
Guidelines: Two J. Anthony Lukas Work-in-Progress Awards, in the amount of $25,000, are given annually to aid in the completion of significant works of nonfiction on topics of American political or social concern. Recognizing that a nonfiction book based on extensive research often overtaxes the resources available to its author, the project envisions the Awards as a way of closing the gap between the time and money an author has and the time and money that finishing a book requires.
How to Enter:
- Anyone, including the author, may submit a work-in-progress.
- Applicants for this award must already have a contract with a U.S.-based publisher to write a nonfiction book.
Materials Needed for Entry:
- Statement addressing how the award will advance the progress of the book
- 50-75 pages from the work-in-progress
- The original book proposal accepted by the publisher
- Proof of contract that includes the details of the "advance" and payment schedule as well as the signature page or signed letter of intent by the publisher
- Details on any other financial support for the book, such as a grant
*PDF format preferred